Thursday, October 23, 2008

Telecommuting is a bad idea

If you have read my recent blog posts, you have undoubtedly noticed a pattern; i.e. I talk a lot about how software development is a highly collaborative activity; and we all (should) know by now that poor communication is the major contributing factor to project failure. So... stop doing things that detract from effective communication and collaboration. Permanent or frequent telecommuting is one of those things.

I'm mostly refering to the following scenario: You are allowed to regularly telecommute but could otherwise work with your peers in a local office. I'm not referring to scenarios where occasional or permanent telecommuting is ok, such as for reasons of illness or scarcity of talent.

A few years back, I telecommuted full-time for a whole year. I was a software tester at the time, embedded in a software development team. The company was local and was a 20-minute commute for me. There were many facets that were personally beneficial to me: an ability to set a flexible schedule, to not have to drive to work, and to attend to my daughter on demand; but the reality was that the business was not benefiting. I remain convinced that it is a bad idea.

1 comment:

Chris said...

As you point out, from a SWD perspective, it may be problematic. However, as a nearly full-time telecommuter's perspective, it's really a human-based issue. Telecommuting is really a question of availability and connectivity. Establish core hours, have a reliable connection, and demonstrate your willingness to participate, and your telecommuting role will gain acceptance. People are only as collaborative as they want to be. I've been telecommuting since the mid-1990s as a team member and as a manager and can easily say that, as technologies, and acceptance improves, telecommuting is becoming more and more seamless. In short, whether working globally or locally, you have to either find a way to play the game. Those that do, are still in business...those that don't are not.